Seago International, Inc. is a family owned company that has been in the specialized equipment business for over 30 years. Founded in Maryland in 1981, Seago expanded operations and relocated to Florida in 1996. In 2006 Seago relocated again and is currently headquartered in Hickory, NC. Phone : 800-780-9889.
An acronym for Specialized Equipment And Golf Operations, Seago is the worldwide distributor for Air Force Hover Mowers as well as the North and South American distributor for Atom Professional (Cart Path and Baseline) Edgers, Atom Domestic and Deluxe Edger, Atom Tillers, Autoguide Postmaster, Portapump Jr, Power Rotary Scissors, the BowDry, Hover Trimmer, Masport Mowers, and Spyker Spreaders. Seago specializes in finding products here in the United States as well as Ireland, England, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, and selling them through an outstanding collection of dealers and sub-distributors worldwide.
“We focused on the quality of the product and searched for dealers who were the leading suppliers for Golf and Turf Products in a specific territory.” states current Owner and President Scott Sweeney. “Seago began by distributing one product in a specific area of the U.S. and now we distribute over 25 products from seven manufacturers from around the globe. With over 100 dealers in their North and South American dealer network, and other sub-distributors in countries around the world, Seago covers the Americas and reaches all corners of the world”
Scott Sweeney, a retired Air Force Officer, joined Seago in 2001 after earning a MBA and spending eight years in the publishing business. Scott completed purchase of the company and became President in 2004. “Our growth has been based on pairing specialized, high quality products with outstanding dealers. As we find unique products that can benefit golf course superintendents, sports turf managers, grounds maintenance and landscape professionals, we will continue to invest in bringing them to the market place.”
History of the Hover Mower
Sir William Cockerell, a British scientist and inventor in the late 1950s, designed a high speed hovercraft The SRN1 Car ferry capable of carrying over 100 motor vehicles at over 50 miles per hour across the English Channel, from Dover England to Calais France, this being the busiest ferry crossing in the World. The US Military has since further developed this machine for the Marine Corps who needed a fast maneuverable ship to lead assaults capable of “flying” across rivers and up beaches and capable of rapid deployment of men and machines.
The first Hover Mower was reportedly invented by a Swede by the name of Karl Dahlman in 1964. Originally powered by a 2-stroke Italian engine, the Hover Mower was available in only a 19″ model, but by the late 60’s an electric model was added to the line. Flymo was the name for the mower and has since become the generic name for Air Cushioned Hover Mowers.
Flymo was introduced to the United States in the late 60’s under the slogan “Mowing made easy on a cushion of air.” Ongoing quality, distribution and legal issues led to the demise of the company’s sales in North America. Flymo continues to be a very strong brand name in Europe. It has essentially retreated completely from the domestic landscape.
The Allen Hover Mower first appeared in 1982 under the name Crown Hover Mowers. The Allen Hover Mower was first designed and built by the Templar Tillers Company in the United Kingdom. Using the same air cushion idea seen in the Flymo machines, Templer Tiller improved on the performance and durability of hover mowers with a newer deck design and by using commercial grade materials (like ABS Plastic) in manufacturing. In 2006 Allen Hover Mowers were purchased Hayter which is a division by Toro.
Air Force Hover Mowers
Air Force Hover Mowers were started in 2013 by Scott Sweeney the then and current owner of Seago, Inc. With over 25 years of experience in the hover mower industry as the North and South American distributor for All Hover Mowers, the Seago team harnessed that experience and knowledge to build a machine that capitalized on technological advances in both materials and manufacturing techniques.
The first model for Air Force was the F-19 mower powered by a Honda engine that was launched at the 2013 GIS in San Diego. With its distinctive blue deck, tall impeller and rugged design, the F-19 quickly became an industry favorite. Industry leading features like the tool free Hi-Lift Kit, shock absorbing handle mounts, positive connect OPC handle and other keep the F-19 at to forefront of hover mower machines and a mower that is always the first one employees choose when heading out on the course.
In 2015, in response to industry need and want, Air Force brought back the 2-cycle engine to the hover mower market with the launch of the F-15. The F-15 marked the first 2-cycle powered hover mower to be sold since EPA changes in 2005 closed the door on existing 2-stroke power plants.
Now that Seago had its own brand, sales expanded to include Europe and the Far East as well as North and South America. From U.S. Open and PGA Championship courses like Quail Hollow and PGA Sawgrass, to the Olympic Golf Course in Brazil, to Royal Bang Pa-In in Thailand, to many top private and public courses throughout the United States, Air Force Hover mowers can be found helping to keep these great courses in top shape.
Air Force Hover Mowers continue to lead the way in innovation, performance and durability.
History – Atom Industries
Atom Industries has been manufacturing innovative products for many years. Their award winning inventions are sold to over 30 countries worldwide.
In 1961, Atom began importing back-sprayers and chainsaws into Australia. In 1963, their first invention was a drilling attachment with automatic reverse gear that fitted onto chainsaws. This drill attachment is still sold today as the Auger-stop model.
In 1972, Atom manufactured their own chainsaws and was the worlds first chainsaw company to have its complete range of chainsaws with electronic ignition (patented), turbo action self cleaning air cleaner (patented), as well as Atoms (patented) Anti-Vibration system fitted to most models. These features are now standard on most chainsaws sold today as the patents had expired many years ago for the air cleaner. The Atom chainsaw ceased production in 1976.
Atoms patented Electronic Ignition System has been and still is used on many Original Engine Manufactures (OEM) engines in Europe, USA and Asia. The Ignition Module was also developed as a spare part to replace points and condensers in small engines, and many millions have been and are sold worldwide. In 1975, they were awarded “Inventor of the Year” for this product on the ABC program “The Inventors”.
Atom then developed and in 1995 manufactured the patented design Atom Lawn Edger. Within three years, Atom has become the largest selling lawn edger in Australia. It won the 1995 Product of the Year voted by Power Equipment Australia magazine for the Domestic model, 1996 Product of the Year for the Professional model, and also won in 1997 the Vermeil Silver/Gold medal at the International Inventors Convention in Geneva, Switzerland. Most recently in 2014 the won the Gold Medal at 41st International Exhibition of inventions in Geneva.
Other models developed include a specially designed professional edger for edging cart paths on golf courses. The deluxe lawn edger works great for edging around sidewalks or driveways.
Autoguide Equipment Ltd was established in 1977, and provides a specialist design, development and production resource for OEMs and our own branded products.
Originally Autoguide Equipment Ltd produced pick up hitches for Agricultural tractors and supplied a design service to other manufacturers. Over the years we have expanded our range of products and have developed:
- Equipment for compact tractors and commercial mowers
- Auger equipment and accessories for utilities
- Helical pile foundations
- Special purpose machines e.g. for fencing or pole erection
- Fine turf care machines including the Auto-Roller for cricket wickets
- Specialized post driving machines for all industries
Bowcom – BowDry
Established for over 30 years, Bowcom is one of the world’s most respected line marking companies and have become synonymous with the ultimate in line marking technology and water removal machines. From manufacturing premium quality line marking paints & concentrates, through to their range of innovative line marking applicators, the Bowcom product range provides total line marking solutions for the global line marking sector.
As trusted supplier to councils, schools, contractors, national and international sporting institutions and major sporting championships. Bowcom’s reputation for precision, quality and innovation is built upon an on-going commitment to the highest levels of product performance, exceptional customer service and industry leading product development and design.
Masport Limited commenced as a family owned manufacturing company in 1910 in Auckland, New Zealand.
Masport introduced an iron foundry in 1911 and started manufacturing vacuum pumps and stationary engines for a range of agricultural equipment. After establishing a solid base in the farming industry, Masport started to diversify producing its first hand mowers in 1930 and New Zealand’s first petrol-powered lawnmower in 1938.
Masport manufactured munitions for the army during World War 2. Post-war the company refocused on its core business, introducing further farm machinery such as ride-on tractors. With a growing reputation for engineering excellence, the company expanded off shore with an increasing range of agricultural, horticultural and lawn care products.
Today Masport specialises in outdoor power equipment such as lawnmowers, shredders, cultivators and outdoor leisure products such as barbecues and patio heaters. The company continues to enjoy a growing reputation for providing quality products, exporting to over 40 countries worldwide.
For a more in-depth look at the History of Masport, please visit the Masport Centenary Site: masport100years.com
Brinly-Hardy and Spyker
The Brinly-Hardy Company traces its origin to “Little John Brinly”, a blacksmith who set up shop in Simpsonville, Kentucky, around 1800 and made plows in his spare time when he wasn’t shoeing horses, mules and oxen of the settlers newly arrived in Kentucky or for those headed West. He crafted the “Brinly” plow with a wooden moldboard, cast iron front, point and heel bolt around 1805. This plow was once owned by Isaac Shelby, the first governor of Kentucky, and is now in the Kentucky Historical Museum in Frankfort, Kentucky.
The son of “Little John Brinly”, Mr. T. E. C. Brinly, later fashioned a one-piece steel plow from a saw blade around 1837. He is considered the first manufacturer of steel plows in this portion of the country. The excellence of these plows soon made them famous among the farmers of Kentucky. Still in Simpsonville, Mr. Brinly worked at the forge, turning out plows for the neighboring farmers.
Until 1859, Mr. T. E. C. Brinly was still manufacturing plows at Simpsonville. At that time he furnished nearly his entire output to W. B. Belknap & Company in Louisville, from whom he purchased his steel and other materials. Belknap bought the plows for shipment down river by steamboat or flatboat to Memphis, Natchez, Vicksburg and New Orleans. The plows quickly gained a good reputation in the South. The method employed in doing business in those days was for him to send in a wagon load of plows, and haul back a wagon load of steel. Sometimes he would walk the 20 miles back to Simpsonville, if the load was too heavy for his mule.
Mr. Morris Belknap of the firm of W. B. Belknap & Company, induced Mr. Brinly to come to Louisville to occupy a site located on Main Street between Brook and Floyd. In 1859, Mr. Brinly moved his plow factory to Louisville. Later, the plant was moved one block to Main Street between Preston and Floyd.
In the early days, the firm in Louisville had several partnerships.
In 1863, Mr. James Edward Hardy joined the firm. And in 1900, the company name was incorporated as Brinly-Hardy Company. Mr. Brinly died in 1902 at the age of 80 and since that time, there haven’t been any Brinly’s involved in the company.
Mr. James Edward Hardy, Sr. became the president of Brinly-Hardy Company, and remained in that position until his death at age 88 in 1922. At that time, his son, William B. Hardy, who had joined the company in 1902, became President. Mr. William B. Hardy’s son, James E. Hardy, Jr. joined the company in 1919, and in 1920 became plant superintendent. In 1926, Mr. Hardy, Jr. was promoted to Sales Manager, Secretary, and Vice President, then at the death of William B. Hardy in 1930, became the third generation President of the company.
Today, Brinly-Hardy Company is primarily a manufacturer of lawn and garden tractor accessories. The products are sold nation-wide through distributors, chain stores and home improvement centers. In addition to labeled products, the firm markets products through tractor manufacturers under their own private labels. Brinly-Hardy produces some 110 models of utility carts, lawn rollers, plows, disk harrows, cultivators, aerators, dethatchers, fertilizer spreaders and snow blades.
The Brinly-Hardy Company moved its operating facilities across the river to Jeffersonville, Indiana, about 5 miles from its old location in Louisville, Ky. This new manufacturing facility allows us to keep growing in important ways. Featuring state-of-the-art manufacturing technology, the new facility enhances our flexibility for accommodating large volume orders, as well as special order requests. The increased production and storage space allows us to better deliver rapid turnaround to all our valued customers. In addition, we have invested in new technology for our product development team, where innovation is an ongoing commitment.
In 2012, Brinly purchased Spyker Spreader brand that has been a family owned business since 1868. Adding Spyker brought a more commercial product line to the Brinly line and has become an excellent addition. The Spyker Pro Model line offer the highest quality push, tow, electric, drop and ride-on spreader models.
The quality of Brinly products depends on the quality of Brinly people. We believe Brinly people are a special breed. They care about the company they work for, the products they make, and the service they give. While our growth has meant lots of new Brinly family members, over 20 percent of our people have been with us for more than 20 years. We must be doing something right. Maybe it’s the pleasure you get being part of a family and a family tradition, both of which are dedicated to an old-fashioned value: take pride in work well done.
What’s in a name? Well, just about everything. That’s why we believe products that carry the Brinly name, and reputation, have a lot to live up to. To prove it, we’re investing in the Brinly brand, in product innovation and improvement, in Brinly people, and Brinly customers.
IDECH was founded as an affiliated company of Itoh Electric Co.,Ltd.in 1994. We develop and manufacture tools for landscape and agriculture in Japan.
In spite of its short history, IDECH’s products are being used in a wide range of fields including landscaping, farming, and domestic useage worldwide. We believe that this success has been brought about by the technological power of automation, developed by Itoh Electric Co.,Ltd. for over 70 years.
So far, IDECH has developed handy mowers, electric scissors, hedge trimmers, blowers, and attachments for engine trimmers. We strive to benefit people and preserve nature by making the best use of the power of nature in our technology.
We aspire to share our dreams with people around the world as a member of a global community by carrying out our activities in international markets.